Breast Cancer Facts
You Need to Know
Breast cancer facts are what a woman wants when she hears that she may have breast cancer.
- What is it?
- Why is it happening?
- What happens next...?
The questions seem to swirl in her head as she frantically searches.
If you are experiencing this emotional roller coaster ride, what you need are answers.
Simply put, breast cancer is the mutation of healthy cells into cancerous ones. The cancerous cells multiply, forming a malignant tumor.
What Causes It?
No one knows exactly what the causes of breast cancer are. However, studies have linked breast cancer to risk factors that include a woman's age, medical history, genetics, and diet.
What are the Symptoms and Warning Signs?
Breast cancer may alter the shape, size, or contour of a woman's breast or nipple area. A lump may or may not be felt. Redness or other changes to the look of the breast could also be indications of breast cancer. Read more at:
What are the Stages?
The stages of breast cancer let you know its expansiveness.
- Stage 0 - Cancer is only in the breast, and has not spread.
- Stage1 - Cancer is only in the breast, and is less than 2cm in size.
- Stage 2A - Cancer may be in the lymph nodes, or the tumor may be 2-5cm in size.
- Stage 2B - The tumor is either less than 5cm with spreading to the lymph nodes or more than 5cm without any lymph node involvement.
- Stage 3A - Cancer is considered locally advanced. It has spread to the lymph nodes and may be sticking to other local areas.
- Stage 3B - Cancer is not only in the lymph nodes, but also on the wall of the breast or on the skin.
- Stage 3C - Cancer has spread even more extensively.
- Stage 4 - Cancer has moved to additional areas of the body.
How is it Treated?
There are two basic kinds of breast cancer treatments: local and systemic.
- Local treatments involve the removal or destruction of cancerous cells. This is either done through surgery or radiation.
- Systemic treatments are geared toward the destruction or control of cancer cells. Chemotherapy and hormone therapy are the most common types.
More Facts and Resources
Looking for more breast cancer facts? Take a look at Cancer Fighting Strategies. Women are using this site to provide them with valuable information about their fight with breast cancer.
CancerFightingStrategies.com is dedicated to not letting these women down and to offering a wide variety of breast cancer facts.
Top of Breast Cancer Facts page
Go to Breast Cancer Treatment home
Was this page helpful? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.